Using Mobile Technology
For these reasons, the Tobacco Control Evaluation Center makes it easy for tobacco projects supported by Proposition 99 funding to conduct surveys and observations anywhere (even without a Wi-Fi connection) with a SurveyAnalytics.com account and its SurveyPocket application. For the specifics of how this works, see our resources below.
If you still have questions, contact the TCEC data collection help desk at 530-754-8929, and remember to visit this page frequently as we update these resources periodically.
Borrowing a TCEC Device
If you need additional devices for your data collection efforts, we have a small fleet of Android and Apple devices which Prop. 99-funded projects can borrow for short periods of time. Complete and return the loan agreement form below, and TCEC will fill orders on a first come, first served basis.
*During peak demand (e.g. HSHC store observations, public opinion poll) lending may be limited to 5 devices at a time for 4 weeks. Ask TCEC for details*
Compare the various survey platforms out there and learn how technology can save time, money and effort.
- Survey Platforms
- iPod FAQs
- Using Technology to Save Time in Survey Administration (1:00:02)
- Introduction to Retail Data Collection (1:00:20)
- SurveyAnalytics: The Takeover
Account and Device Set-up
TCEC has established a free mobile survey account with SurveyAnalytics.com for each Prop. 99-funded project. There you can create and edit surveys as well as manage and analyze your data. And once you've downloaded the related SurveyPocket app onto your mobile devices, you can conduct surveys and observations anywhere, even without a Wi-Fi connection. For the specifics of how this works, see our resources below.
A few key terms you'll need to know are:
- SurveyPocket is an application that allows for offline data collection with handheld devices. Prop.-99 funded agencies can use mobile technology loaded with SurveyPocket for data collection without any limitations on time or number of surveys, questions, or respondents.
- SurveyAnalytics.com is the website for creating, editing, and administering surveys that can be conducted on handheld devices loaded with SurveyPocket. It's also where you generate device keys which are used to connect devices to your account. And it's the website where you access the data you've collected. You can even do some analyses in SurveyAnalytics or export the data to Excel. SurveyAnalytics also has a "send survey" feature that allows you to send a link so your respondents can take the survey online. TCEC has issued each project its OWN SurveyAnalytics.com account with the ability to do unlimited surveys with no time restraints or limit to the number of surveys.
- Synchronize/Sync is the mode of communication between the SurveyPocket app on your device and your SurveyAnalytics.com account in a browser. Sync in the SurveyPocket app is used to access surveys and upload data within your account. This sync function requires wireless Internet connectivity (Wi-Fi) and cannot be done by physically connecting a device to a computer. It must be done wirelessly.
Here are a few additional resources about using SurveyPocket and SurveyAnalytics:
Creating Mobile Surveys
- Question Types COMING SOON
- Creating Surveys
- Surveys from Word Files
- Editing Surveys
- Getting Started: Techniques and Tips
- Managing Folders
Training Data Collectors
Collecting Data with Devices
- Collecting Data With Handheld Devices (52:08)
- Experiences with Using Handhelds for Data Collection (58:15)
- Continuing an Incomplete Survey
Analyzing Data in Mobile Platforms
- Cleaning and Analysis COMING SOON
- Exporting Data
- Deleting Data with Care
- Creating Data Visualizations COMING SOON
- Exporting Charts and Graphs
- Custom Dashboards:   Read
Video Q & A
When you contact the TCEC help desk, we take note of the questions you ask and try to develop short videos that answer them. If you have a topic you'd like addressed, contact the TCEC help desk at 530-754-8929.
- Survey Analytics Video 1: Logging In
- Survey Analytics Video 2: Sharing Folders
- Survey Analytics Video 3: Copying Surveys
- Survey Analytics Video 4: Editing Surveys
- Survey Analytics Video 5: Dashboards
- Survey Analytics Video 6: Response Viewer
- Survey Analytics Video 7: Export Data
- Survey Analytics Video 8: Creating Surveys
- Survey Analytics Video 9: Multi-Language Surveys
- Survey Analytics Video 10: Connecting Mobile Devices
- How do I log into my SurveyAnalytics.com account?
- How do I rename a survey?
- How do I create and share folders with other people or organizations?
- After I've collected all my data, how do I filter out responses that were incomplete?